Drops of wisdom

He pensado en crear una sección donde colgar textos que hagan reflexionar, a modo de una lectura estimulante diaria.
Fundamentalmente estarán en inglés, pero tambien en castellano.

Empezamos con un texto de mi admirado Séneca, parte de “Of Providence”, acerca de que un hombre no puede conocerse a si mismo, sin conocer la adversidad. Que lo disfrutéis,

Prosperity comes to the mob, and to low-minded men as well as to great ones; but it is the privilege of great men alone to send under the yoke, the disasters and terrors of mortal life: whereas to be always prosperous, and to pass through life without a twinge of mental distress, is to remain ignorant of one half of nature. You are a great man; but how am I to know it, if fortune gives you no opportunity of showing your virtue? You have entered the arena of the Olympic games, but no one else has done so: you have the crown, but not the victory: I do not congratulate you as I would a brave man, but as one who has obtained a consulship or praetorship. You have gained dignity. I may say the same of a good man, if troublesome circumstances have never given him a single opportunity of displaying the strength of his mind. I think you unhappy because you never have been unhappy: you have passed through your life without meeting an antagonist: no one will know your powers, not even you yourself." For a man cannot know himself without a trial; no one ever learnt what he could do without putting himself to the test; for which reason many have of their own free will exposed themselves to misfortunes which no longer came in their way, and have sought for an opportunity of making their virtue, which otherwise would have been lost in darkness, shine before the world. Great men, I say, often rejoice at crosses of fortune just as brave soldiers do at wars. I remember to have heard Triumphus, who was a gladiator in the reign of Tiberius Caesar, complaining about the scarcity of prizes. “What a glorious time,” said he, “is past.” Valour is greedy of danger, and thinks only of whither it strives to go, not of what it will suffer, since even what it will suffer is part of its glory. Soldiers pride themselves on their wounds, they joyously display their blood flowing over their breastplate. Though those who return unwounded from battle may have done as bravely, yet he who returns wounded is more admired. God, I say, favours those whom He wishes to enjoy the greatest honours, whenever He affords them the means of performing some exploit with spirit and courage, something which is not easily to be accomplished: you can judge of a pilot in a storm, of a soldier in a battle. How can I know with how great a spirit you could endure poverty, if you overflow with riches? How can I tell with how great firmness you could bear up against disgrace, dishonour, and public hatred, if you grow old to the sound of applause, if popular favour cannot be alienated from you, and seems to flow to you by the natural bent of men’s minds? How can I know how calmly you would endure to be childless, if you see all your children around you? I have heard what you said when you were consoling others: then I should have seen whether you could have consoled yourself, whether yon could have forbidden yourself to grieve. Do not, I beg you, dread those things which the immortal gods apply to our minds like spurs: misfortune is virtue’s opportunity. Those men may justly be called unhappy who are stupified with excess of enjoyment, whom sluggish contentment keeps as it were becalmed in a quiet sea: whatever befalls them will come strange to them. Misfortunes press hardest on those who are unacquainted with them: the yoke feels heavy to the tender neck. The recruit turns pale at the thought of a wound: the veteran, who knows that he has often won the victory after losing blood, looks boldly at his own flowing gore. In like manner God hardens, reviews, and exercises those whom He tests and loves: those whom He seems to indulge and spare, He is keeping out of condition to meet their coming misfortunes: for you are mistaken if you suppose that any one is exempt from misfortune: he who has long prospered will have his share some day; those who seem to have been spared them have only had them put off. Why does God afflict the best of men with ill-health, or sorrow, or other troubles? Because in the army the most hazardous services are assigned to the bravest soldiers: a general sends his choicest troops to attack the enemy in a midnight ambuscade, to reconnoitre his line of march, or to drive the hostile garrisons from their strong places. No one of these men says as he begins his march, " The general has dealt hardly with me," but “He has judged well of me.” Let those who are bidden to suffer what makes the weak and cowardly weep, say likewise, “God has thought us worthy subjects on whom to try how much suffering human nature can endure.” Avoid luxury, avoid effeminate enjoyment, by which men’s minds are softened, and in which, unless something occurs to remind them of the common lot of humanity, they lie unconscious, as though plunged in continual drunkenness. He whom glazed windows have always guarded from the wind, whose feet are warmed by constantly renewed fomentations, whose dining-room is heated by hot air beneath the floor and spread through the walls, cannot meet the gentlest breeze without danger. While all excesses are hurtful, excess of comfort is the most hurtful of all; it affects the brain; it leads men’s minds into vain imaginings; it spreads a thick cloud over the boundaries of truth and falsehood. Is it not better, with virtue by one’s side, to endure continual misfortune, than to burst with an endless surfeit of good things? It is the overloaded stomach that is rent asunder: death treats starvation more gently. The gods deal with good men according to the same rule as schoolmasters with their pupils, who exact most labour from those of whom they have the surest hopes. Do you imagine that the Lacedaemonians, who test the mettle of their children by public flogging, do not love them? Their own fathers call upon them to endure the strokes of the rod bravely, and when they are torn and half dead, ask them to offer their wounded skin to receive fresh wounds. Why then should we wonder if God tries noble spirits severely? There can be no easy proof of virtue. Fortune lashes and mangles us: well, let us endure it: it is not cruelty, it is a struggle, in which the oftener we engage the braver we shall become. The strongest part of the body is that which is exercised by the most frequent use: we must entrust ourselves to fortune to be hardened by her against herself: by degrees she will make us a match for herself. Familiarity with danger leads us to despise it. Thus the bodies of sailors are hardened by endurance of the sea, and the hands of farmers by work; the arms of soldiers are powerful to hurl darts, the legs of runners are active: that part of each man which he exercises is the strongest: so by endurance the mind becomes able to despise the power of misfortunes. You may see what endurance might effect in us if you observe what labour does among tribes that are naked and rendered stronger by want. Look at all the nations that dwell beyond the Roman Empire: I mean the Germans and all the nomad tribes that war against us along the Danube. They suffer from eternal winter, and a dismal climate, the barren soil grudges them sustenance, they keep off the rain with leaves or thatch, they bound across frozen marshes, and hunt wild beasts for food. Do you think them unhappy? There is no unhappiness in what use has made part of one’s nature: by degrees men find pleasure in doing what they were first driven to do by necessity. They have no homes and no resting-places save those which weariness appoints them for the day; their food, though coarse, yet must be sought with their own hands; the harshness of the climate is terrible, and their bodies are unclothed. This, which you think a hardship, is the mode of life of all these races: how then can you wonder at good men being shaken, in order that they may be strengthened? No tree which the wind does not often blow against is firm and strong; for it is stiffened by the very act of being shaken, and plants its roots more securely: those which grow in a sheltered valley are brittle: and so it is to the advantage of good men, and causes them to be undismayed, that they should live much amidst alarms, and learn to bear with patience what is not evil save to him who endures it ill.

Fuente:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Of_Providence

7 Me gusta

Muy interesante @jvas y gracias por compartir esta sabiduría estóica del filósofo cordobés. Desde hace años uno de mis libros de cabecera son Las cartas morales a Lucilio, del propio Séneca, una obra de una actualidad asombrosa. En breves cartas de tres y cuatro páginas, Séneca reflexiona sobre los grandes temas morales que inciden sobre el día a día de nuestras vidas y en cada una de estas cartas se encuentra alguna perla, sentencia o párrafo que nos habla directamente a nosotros. No me cabe duda de Charlie Munger, como gran lector, habrá hecho un uso intenso de estos pensamientos. ¡Gracias!

3 Me gusta

Me alegro mucho que te guste, @Lucius! A ver si me puedes ayudar y entre todos vamos colgando una lectura enriquecedora diaria :grinning:

Seneca y Marco Aurelio, son dos grandes influencias para mi. Siempre que me siento perdido, voy a ellos y me ayuda a volver a alinearme. Es asombroso cuanto puede aprender uno de mentes brillantes que pasaron por aquí, largo tiempo atrás.

2 Me gusta

Eso si, a ver si alguien controla de temas legales, no vaya a ser que nos metamos en un follón!

Sabéis como funciona esto?

Aquí va una traducción que me he encontrado haciendo googling. Siempre tendrá tiempo de mejorarla cuando le metan en chirona por eso del copyright que recomienda @jvas

1- La prosperidad llega también a la plebe y a los temperamentos vulgares, pero someter al yugo las calamidades y terrores de los mortales es propio de un hombre grande. En cambio, ser siempre feliz y pasar por la vida sin ninguna punzada en el alma, equivale a ignorar la mitad de la naturaleza.

2- ¿Eres hombre valiente? ¿Pues cómo lo sé yo, si la suerte no te da oportunidad de demostrar tu virtud? Has bajado a los campos olímpicos, pero nadie estuvo contigo: tienes una corona, pero no una victoria. No te felicito como a hombre fuerte sino como a quien ha conseguido el consulado o la pretura: se te ha honrado.

3- Lo mismo puedo decirle también al hombre bueno, si ninguna circunstancia un tanto difícil le concedió ocasión de mostrar la fuerza de su espíritu: “Te considero infeliz porque nunca fuiste infeliz. Atravesaste la vida sin adversario; nadie sabrá de qué fuiste capaz, ni siquiera tú mismo”. En efecto, para conocerse a sí mismo se hace necesaria una prueba: nadie llega a saber si es capaz de algo mientras no intenta. Por eso algunos se ofrecieron a sí mismos a las desgracias, que tardaban en venir, y buscaron una ocasión de hacer brillar su virtud, que estaba por esconderse en la oscuridad.

4- Se alegran a veces- digo- los hombres valientes con la adversidad, del mismo modo que los bravos soldados con la guerra. Yo he oído al gladiador Triunfo, en tiempos de Tiberio César, quejarse por la escasez de los juegos públicos: “¡Qué precioso tiempo se pierde!”, exclamaba. La virtud se muestra ávida de peligros y piensa en la meta a la cual tiende, no en lo que ha de padecer, ya que aun lo que ha de padecer es parte de su gloria. Los militares se glorían de sus heridas; alegres muestran la sangre que fluye de la coraza, y aunque quienes retornan sanos y salvos de la batalla hayan hecho lo mismo, más se considera al que vuelve lesionado.

5- Dios- vuelvo a decir- favorece a quienes desea que sean lo más virtuosos posible siempre que les brinda ocasión de hacer algo con valor y firmeza, para lo cual es preciso que se dé alguna circunstancia difícil: podrás juzgar al piloto en la tempestad y al soldado en la batalla. ¿Có- mo puedo saber en qué medida eres capaz de luchar contra la pobreza si nadas en la abundancia? ¿Cómo puedo saber cuánta presencia de ánimo tienes para hacer frente a la maledicencia y el odio del pueblo, si envejeces en medio de aplausos, si un favor inexpugnable, preparado por cierta inclinación de los ánimos hacia ti, te sigue? ¿Cómo puedo saber con qué entereza has de soportar la pérdida de tus hijos, si ves a todos los que has criado? Te he oído consolar a otros; recién te hubiera podido conocer al ver cómo te consolabas a ti mismo, cómo te vedabas a ti mismo el dolor.

6- No os aterroricéis, os ruego, por estas desgracias con que los dioses inmortales acicatean los espíritus: la calamidad es ocasión de la virtud. Con razón se podría llamar desdichados a quienes se ven entorpecidos por una excesiva felicidad, a quienes una inerte calma inmoviliza, como en un mar tranquilo. Todo cuanto les sucediere será nuevo para ellos: las desgracias aprietan más a quienes nunca las ha experimentado. Pesado es el yugo para los cuellos tiernos; el novato palidece ante la posibilidad de una herida, el veterano contempla con serenidad su propia sangre, pues sabe que con frecuencia ha vencido después de haberla derramado.

7- De ese modo Dios endurece, somete a prueba y ejercita a los que aprecia y ama; en cambio, a los que parece consentir y perdonar los conserva, indefensos, para las desgracias que les han de venir. Os equivocáis, en efecto, si creéis que alguien está exceptuado: a aquel que durante largo tiempo fue feliz le tocará su parte; cuantos parecen exentos son dejados para más tarde.

8- ¿Por qué aflige Dios a los mejores con mala salud, con llanto o con otras desgracias? Porque también en los campamentos militares se confían las tareas peligrosas a los más valientes: el jefe envía las tropas más escogidas para tender al enemigo una emboscada nocturna, para explorar el camino o para asaltar una posición estratégica. Ninguno de los que parten para tales misiones dice: “El general no me aprecia”, sino: “Me tiene en buen concepto”. Digan lo mismo todos aquellos a quienes se ordena sufrir lo que hace llorar a flojos y cobardes: “Hemos sido juzgados por Dios dignos de probar cuánto puede soportar la naturaleza humana”.

9- Huid de los placeres, huid de la muelle felicidad con la cual se debilitan los espíritus, como adormecidos en una perpetua ebriedad, a no ser que sobrevenga algo que les haga recordar el destino del hombre. A aquel a quien los vidrios protegieron siempre del viento, a aquel cuyos pies permanecieron calientes en medio de fomentos cambiados con frecuencia, a aquel cuyos comedores atemperó el calor dispuesto por debajo y esparcido en las paredes un ligero vientecillo no lo tocará sin peligro.

10- Siendo así que todos los excesos son peligrosos, el exceso de felicidad es el más peligroso de todos, conmueve el cerebro, llama la mente a vanas imágenes, extiende una amplia capa de tinieblas entre lo verdadero y lo falso. ¿Por qué no ha de ser preferible soportar, con ayuda de la virtud una continua desdicha, que ser quebrantado por infinitos y desmesurados goces? Suave es la muerte por inanición, de indigestión se revienta.

11- Los dioses siguen con los hombres buenos la misma regla que los preceptores con sus discípulos, pues exigen un esfuerzo más grande a aquellos en quienes depositan una más firme esperanza. ¿Crees acaso que los lacedemonios detestan a sus hijos porque ponen a prueba su carácter haciéndolos azotar públicamente? Los mismos padres los exhortan a que aguanten con valor los latigazos y cuando están ya hechos pedazos y medio muertos les ruegan que perseveren, brindando sus heridas a nuevas heridas.

12- ¿Qué tiene de extraño que Dios ponga duramente a prueba a los espíritus generosos? La demostración de la virtud nunca es fácil. ¿La fortuna nos azota y despedaza? Soportémosla: no es crueldad; se trata de un certamen y cuanto más frecuentemente participemos en él más fuertes seremos. La parte más firme del cuerpo es aquella que un continuo uso pone en movimiento. Debemos brindarnos a la fortuna para que ella contra ella misma nos endurezca: poco a poco nos volverá iguales a ella y la familiaridad con el peligro hará que podamos despreciarlo.

13- Así, los marineros tienen cuerpos duros para enfrentarse al mar, las manos de los agricultores están curtidas. Por medio del padecimiento llega el alma a despreciar el padecimiento de los males. Podrás darte cuenta de lo que éste puede hacer en nosotros, si consideras cuánto suele ayudar el esfuerzo a naciones indigentes y endurecidas por la pobreza.

14- Mira todos esos pueblos que lindan con la paz romana, quiero decir, los germanos y las tribus nómadas que nos salen al paso junto al Ister: un perpetuo invierno y un triste cielo los oprimen, un suelo estéril malamente los sustenta; se defienden de la lluvia con una techumbre de paja o de hojas de árboles, brincan sobre lagunas endurecidas por el hielo y cazan fieras para alimentarse.

15- ¿Te parecen desdichados? Nada hay de desdichado en lo que la costumbre ha hecho natural, pues poco a poco llega a producir placer aquello que se comenzó por necesidad. No tienen habitación ni casa alguna, fuera de aquella en la que los ubicó un día la fatiga; su comida es grosera y han de procurársela con las manos; horrenda es la dureza de su clima; sus cuerpos permanecen desnudos; esto que a ti te parece una calamidad es la vida de tantos pueblos.

16- ¿Te asombras de que, para hacerlos más firmes, se vapulee a los hombres buenos? No hay árbol sólido y fuerte fuera de aquel contra el que choca un viento continuo, pues gracias a la misma violenta sacudida se afirma y echa más hondas raíces; frágiles son los que en un abrigado valle crecieron. Les conviene, pues, a los mismos hombres buenos, para poder superar el miedo, vivir mucho tiempo rodeados de cosas que infunden temor y sobrellevar con ánimo sereno aquellos males que en realidad no lo son sino para quien mal los soporta.

5 Me gusta

Muy interesante! Gracias

Esta frase de James J. Corbett, me parece realmente motivadora, así como la historia de este señor ,.

Ahí va la gota de sabiduría para este Blue Monday, teóricamente, el día más triste del año :stuck_out_tongue:

“Fight one more round. When your feet are so tired that you have to shuffle back to the centre of the ring, fight one more round. When your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard, fight one more round. When your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired you wish your opponent would crack you one on the jaw and put you to sleep, fight one more round – remembering that the man who always fights one more round is never whipped.”

Para saber algo más de James “Gentleman Jim” Corbett

1 me gusta

Siempre me quejé por las cartas que me habían repartido en la vida y con el paso del tiempo me preguntaba ¿ si el ser humano aprendemos más con el dolor que nos ocasiona la vida ? y porque debía de ser así.
Es duro pero es honesto decir que esto es así los grandes pensadores así no los dicen una y otra vez , ¡ pero entonces ! ¿ por que queremos enseñar a nuestros hijos dentro de la mayor de las comodidades posibles y si se pudiera sufriendo las frustraciones por ellos ? como si esto no fuera ya una frustración para ellos cuando sean capaces de comprendedlo.
Cito a Sigmund Freud cuando dice : " He sido un hombre afortunado , en la vida nada me resulto fácil ".

5 Me gusta

Es difícil vencer al instinto.

@Pacheco49 desconozco si le servirá de algo pero yo solamente he aprendido (no sé si mucho o poco) a base de castañazos y de hacer lo que se supone que no debería hacer y que naturalmente salió mal.

1 me gusta

@arturop; siento llevarle la contraria en esta ocasión, si fuera el instinto no tendríamos problemas ni siquiera nos plantearíamos dudas ( cualquier animal al que le mueve el instinto sabe lo que tiene que hacer y no lo duda ) , a nosotros la pulsión nos trae de maltraer , ¿ que si no sé , si quiero comer o no , que si esta chica/o es bueno para mi pero a mi madre no les gusta, ? :-))) etc.
Desde el discurso que le hablo el " deseo " es lo que nunca se satisface siempre queda una incompletud que tratamos de llenar con la ciencia y la técnica y que en algunos casos fuera de los modelos matemáticos no alcanza a cubrir y que es el lugar en el que la religión y otros modelos de espiritualidad tratan de llenar de sentido
Esto nos da mucho juego y nos ponemos a hablar a pensar a estudiar en fin que nos pone en marcha y nos hace crecer , como personas nos sentimos mejor.
Si fuera por el instinto en caso de que este nos llevara a fumar, con tener tabaco o lo que fumáramos bastaría , no tendriamos , BT.,MO KO .JNJ.P&G etc. ,adiós mercado y esperanza de ganar dinero .
Quiero que sepa que me siento muy halagado de poder participar en un foro de tanto nivel de conocimiento .
@Fernando , claro que me sirve, " al mal de muchos…" también se le puede contraponer que somos gregarios y no podemos hacer otra cosa que lo que hacen los de nuestra especie y de este modo confirmarnos a la familia que pertenecemos, " todos iguales todos diferentes ".
P.D. Me disculpo si les parece extensa o poco interesante la respuesta.

2 Me gusta

No lo sienta, llevar la contraria sobre todo de forma argumentada enriquece mucho más que simplemente estar de acuerdo. Ahí no se avanza nada. Y no quiero verle disculparse ni una vez más, toda aportación es interesante mientras se haga con respeto y argumentos.

En cuanto a lo del instinto, a lo que me refería es que en el caso de los hijos lo que hacemos es intentar facilitarles la vida “a corto plazo” sin pensar en el largo plazo, sin pensar en que dejarles que sufran un poco o que se enfrenten a sus propios problemas les va a servir mucho más y a hacerles mucho más resistentes y adaptables. Creo que es precisamente el instinto el que tiende a empujarnos en esta dirección, aunque mientras escribo esto me viene algún flash de algún documental (entre siestas jeje) de algún animal precisamente no ayudando a su cría pero observando… Con lo que seguramente tendrá Vd. razón, ¿ve lo que le decía más arriba?

2 Me gusta

Hoy para la gota diaria, nos vamos al libro que hace poco se comentó en el Foro, de Viktor Frankl, The man in search of meaning.

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” Cada vez que voy ganando edad, me voy dando cuenta que el reto no es ganar a los demás, sino “ganarse” a uno mismo. Y para ello, es inevitable tener la ductibilidad de cambiarnos , corregirnos y mejorarnos. Esto lo dice uno con la cabeza dura como una piedra :smile:

“Don’t aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one’s personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one’s surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long-run—in the long-run, I say!—success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think about it” Esto creo que tiene un paralelismo brutal con las inversiones. Me encanta aquello de “no mirar el marcador”. No es el éxito el fin, es el camino en sí, la verdadera meta, así como una dedicación plena a algo que te apasiona y te sobrepasa.

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” Esta es de mis favoritas, sobretodo si tienes a alguién buscándote las cosquillas. Acuérdense del Captain of my soul y esas cosas tan majas :yum:

“Those who have a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’.” Estremecedora

“Love is the only way to grasp another human being in the innermost core of his personality. No one can become fully aware of the very essence of another human being unless he loves him. By his love he is enabled to see the essential traits and features in the beloved person; and even more, he sees that which is potential in him, which is not yet actualized but yet ought to be actualized. Furthermore, by his love, the loving person enables the beloved person to actualize these potentialities. By making him aware of what he can be and of what he should become, he makes these potentialities come true.” Aún a riesgo de ser apedreado por cursi, me repito en que tengo la total convicción de que el amor es la fuerza más poderosa de la tierra. Aquel que se ama a si mismo y a los demás, puede vivir una vida plena. Me da mucha tristeza (aunque por supuesto, respeto su camino) ver a gente que va por la vida como un Samurai, en lucha contra el mundo. Ya se sabe lo que se dice…“En tiempo de paz, un samurai se ataca a si mismo”

Y por último, una que habla por si sola

“Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.” Toma las riendas y acepta tu responsabilidad.

Por cierto @Pacheco49, su comentario me gustó mucho, así como la frase de Freud que desconocía!

3 Me gusta

Mas madera…

I can only quote Buffett when I read such silly stuff.

“We have long felt that the only value of stock forecasters is to make fortune-tellers look good.”

“A prediction about the direction of the stock market tells you nothing about where stocks are headed, but a whole lot about the person doing the predicting.”

“If you don’t feel comfortable owning something for 10 years, then don’t own it for 10 minutes.”

“Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

“The Stock Market is designed to transfer money from the Active to the Patient.”

"Stop trying to predict the direction of the stock market, the economy, interest rates, or elections.”

“I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for ten years.”

“Unless you can watch your stock holding decline by 50% without becoming panic-stricken, you should not be in the stock market.”

“The critical investment factor is determining the intrinsic value of a business and paying a fair or bargain price.”

“Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls-Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.”

“Anything can happen in stock markets and you ought to conduct your affairs so that if the most extraordinary events happen, that you’re still around to play the next day.“

2 Me gusta

Aquí va la gota del miércoles. Esta vez es Chris Gardner, que os sonará por ser el personaje que interpreta Will Smith en “En busca de la felicidad”.

Empresario, inversor en bolsa, filántropo… pasó de llevar una vida muy dura, con una familia desestructurada, abusos en la infancia etc… a ser un hombre realmente próspero. Interesante conocer algo de la vida de este luchador incansable.

_“The future was uncertain, absolutely, and there were many hurdles, twists, and turns to come, but as long as I kept moving forward, one foot in front of the other, the voices of fear and shame, the messages from those who wanted me to believe that I wasn’t good enough, would be stilled.” _

“Others may question your credentials, your papers, your degrees. Others may look for all kinds of ways to diminish your worth. But what is inside you no one can take from you or tarnish. This is your worth, who you really are, your degree that can go with you wherever you go, that you bring with you the moment you come into a room, that can’t be manipulated or shaken. Without that sense of self, no amount of paper, no pedigree, and no credentials can make you legit. No matter what, you have to feel legit inside first.

“The world is your oyster. It’s up to you to find the pearls.”

3 Me gusta

Gota del día, de las Meditaciones de Marco Aurelio.

Al despuntar la aurora, hazte estas consideraciones previas: me encontraré con un indiscreto, un ingrato, un insolente, un mentiroso, un envidioso, un insociable. Todo eso les acontece por ignorancia de los bienes y de los males. Pero yo, que he observado que la naturaleza del bien es lo bello, y que la del mal es lo vergonzoso, y que la naturaleza del pecador mismo es pariente de la mía, porque participa, no de la misma sangre o de la misma semilla, sino de la inteligencia y de una porción de la divinidad, no puedo recibir daño de ninguno de ellos, pues ninguno me cubrirá de vergüenza; ni puedo enfadarme con mi pariente ni odiarle. Pues hemos nacido para colaborar, al igual que los pies, las manos, los párpados, las hileras de dientes, superiores e inferiores. Obrar, pues, como adversarios los unos de los otros es contrario a la naturaleza. Y es actuar como adversario el hecho de manifestar indignación y repulsa.

1 me gusta

Hoy, las 13 virtudes de Benjamin Franklin

1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness. Drink not to elevation.
  2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation.
  3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time.
  4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e., Waste nothing.
  6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes, or habitation.
  11. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.
  13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
1 me gusta

Para este sábado tenemos el discurso del General MacArthur, que tiene la famosa frase que me encanta “te recordarán por las reglas que rompas”.

El discurso lo pronunció el 12 de mayo de 1962, cuando aceptó el Premio Thayer en la Academia militar de Westpoint.

No human being could fail to be deeply moved by such a tribute as this, coming from a profession I have served so long and a people I have loved so well. It fills me with an emotion I cannot express. But this award is not intended primarily to honor a personality, but to symbolize a great moral code — the code of conduct and chivalry of those who guard this beloved land of culture and ancient descent. That is the animation of this medallion. For all eyes and for all time, it is an expression of the ethics of the American soldier. That I should be integrated in this way with so noble an ideal, arouses a sense of pride and yet of humility which will be with me always.

“Duty, Honor, Country” — those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying point to build courage when courage seems to fail, to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, to create hope when hope becomes forlorn.

Unhappily, I possess neither that eloquence of diction, that poetry of imagination, nor that brilliance of metaphor to tell you all that they mean.

The unbelievers will say they are but words, but a slogan, but a flamboyant phrase. Every pedant, every demagogue, every cynic, every hypocrite, every troublemaker, and, I am sorry to say, some others of an entirely different character, will try to downgrade them even to the extent of mockery and ridicule.

But these are some of the things they do. They build your basic character. They mold you for your future roles as the custodians of the nation’s defense. They make you strong enough to know when you are weak, and brave enough to face yourself when you are afraid.

They teach you to be proud and unbending in honest failure, but humble and gentle in success; not to substitute words for action; not to seek the path of comfort, but to face the stress and spur of difficulty and challenge; to learn to stand up in the storm, but to have compassion on those who fall; to master yourself before you seek to master others; to have a heart that is clean, a goal that is high; to learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; to reach into the future, yet never neglect the past; to be serious, yet never take yourself too seriously; to be modest so that you will remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength.

They give you a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions, a freshness of the deep springs of life, a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity, an appetite for adventure over love of ease.

They create in your heart the sense of wonder, the unfailing hope of what next, and the joy and inspiration of life. They teach you in this way to be an officer and a gentleman.

And what sort of soldiers are those you are to lead? Are they reliable? Are they brave? Are they capable of victory?

Their story is known to all of you. It is the story of the American man at arms. My estimate of him was formed on the battlefield many, many years ago, and has never changed. I regarded him then, as I regard him now, as one of the world’s noblest figures; not only as one of the finest military characters, but also as one of the most stainless.

His name and fame are the birthright of every American citizen. In his youth and strength, his love and loyalty, he gave all that mortality can give. He needs no eulogy from me, or from any other man. He has written his own history and written it in red on his enemy’s breast.

But when I think of his patience under adversity, of his courage under fire, and of his modesty in victory, I am filled with an emotion of admiration I cannot put into words. He belongs to history as furnishing one of the greatest examples of successful patriotism. He belongs to posterity as the instructor of future generations in the principles of liberty and freedom. He belongs to the present, to us, by his virtues and by his achievements.

In twenty campaigns, on a hundred battlefields, around a thousand campfires, I have witnessed that enduring fortitude, that patriotic self-abnegation, and that invincible determination which have carved his statue in the hearts of his people. From one end of the world to the other, he has drained deep the chalice of courage.

As I listened to those songs, in memory’s eye I could see those staggering columns of the First World War, bending under soggy packs on many a weary march, from dripping dusk to drizzling dawn, slogging ankle-deep through the mire of shell-pocked roads, to form grimly for the attack, blue-lipped, covered with sludge and mud, chilled by the wind and rain, driving home to their objective, and for many, to the judgment seat of God.

I do not know the dignity of their birth, but I do know the glory of their death. They died unquestioning, uncomplaining, with faith in their hearts, and on their lips the hope that we would go on to victory.

Always for them: Duty, Honor, Country. Always their blood, and sweat, and tears, as we soughº the way and the light and the truth. And twenty years after, on the other side of the globe, again the filth of dirty foxholes, the stench of ghostly trenches, the slime of dripping dugouts, those broiling suns of relentless heat, those torrential rains of devastating storms, the loneliness and utter desolation of jungle trails, the bitterness of long separation of those they loved and cherished, the deadly pestilence of tropical disease, the horror of stricken areas of war.

Their resolute and determined defense, their swift and sure attack, their indomitable purpose, their complete and decisive victory — always victory, always through the bloody haze of their last reverberating shot, the vision of gaunt, ghastly men, reverently following your password of Duty, Honor, Country.

The code which those words perpetuate embraces the highest moral law and will stand the test of any ethics or philosophies ever promoted for the uplift of mankind. Its requirements are for the things that are right, and its restraints are from the things that are wrong. The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training: sacrifice. In battle and in the face of danger and death, he disposes those divine attributes which his Maker gave when he created man in His own image. No physical courage and no brute instinct can take the place of the divine help which alone can sustain him. However hard the incidents of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer and to give his life for his country is the noblest development of mankind.

__You now face a new world, a world of change. The thrust into outer space of the satellite spheres and missiles mark a beginning of another epoch in the long story of mankind. In the five or more billions of years the scientists tell us it has taken to form the earth, in the three or more billion years of development of the human race, there has never been a more abrupt or staggering evolution. We deal now, not with things of this world alone, but with the illimitable distances and as yet unfathomed mysteries of the universe. We are reaching out for a new and boundless frontier. We speak in strange terms: of harnessing the cosmic energy; of making winds and tides work for us; of creating unheard synthetic materials to supplement or even replace our old standard basics; to purify sea water for our drink; of mining the ocean floors for new fields of wealth and food; of disease preventatives to expand life into the hundreds of years; of controlling the weather for a more equitable distribution of heat and cold, of rain and shine; of spaceships to the Moon; of the primary target in war, no longer limited to the armed forces of an enemy, but instead to include his civil populations;d of ultimate conflict between a united human race and the sinister forces of some other planetary galaxy; of such dreams and fantasies as to make life the most exciting of all time.

And through all this welter of change and development your mission remains fixed, determined, inviolable. It is to win our wars. Everything else in your professional career is but corollary to this vital dedication. All other public purposes, all other public projects, all other public needs, great or small, will find others for their accomplishment; but you are the ones who are trained to fight. Yours is the profession of arms, the will to win, the sure knowledge that in war there is no substitute for victory, that if you lose, the Nation will be destroyed, that the very obsession of your public service must be Duty, Honor, Country.

Others will debate the controversial issues, national and international, which divide men’s minds. But serene, calm, aloof, you stand as the Nation’s war guardians, as its lifeguards from the raging tides of international conflict, as its gladiators in the arena of battle. For a century and a half you have defended, guarded and protected its hallowed traditions of liberty and freedom, of right and justice. Let civilian voices argue the merits or demerits of our processes of government: whether our strength is being sapped by deficit financing indulged in too long, by federal paternalism grown too mighty, by power groups grown too arrogant, by politics grown too corrupt, by crime grown too rampant, by morals grown too low, by taxes grown too high, by extremists grown too violent; whether our personal liberties are as firm and complete as they should be; these great national problems are not for your professional participation or military solution. Your guidepost stands out like a tenfold beacon in the night: Duty, Honor, Country.

You are the leaven which binds together the entire fabric of our national system of defense. From your ranks come the great captains who hold the Nation’s destiny in their hands the moment the war tocsin sounds.

The Long Gray Line has never failed us. Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses, thundering those magic words: Duty, Honor, Country.

This does not mean that you are warmongers. On the contrary, the soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: "Only the dead have seen the end of war."e

The shadows are lengthening for me. The twilight is here. My days of old have vanished — tone and tint. They have gone glimmering through the dreams of things that were. Their memory is one of wondrous beauty, watered by tears and coaxed and caressed by the smiles of yesterday. I listen then, but with thirsty ear, for the witching melody of faint bugles blowing reveille, of far drums beating the long roll. In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield. But in the evening of my memory always I come back to West Point. Always there echoes and re-echoes: Duty, Honor, Country.

Today marks my final roll call with you. But I want you to know that when I cross the river, my last conscious thoughts will be of the Corps, and the Corps, and the Corps.

I bid you farewell.

3 Me gusta

En el otro extremo y perdóneme la insolencia esta “la tarotista pepita, el chamán Anastasio y el profesor Kunate”

Hay que ver lo diverso del ser humano …gente que se deja embaucar por semejantes personajes … y después criticamos a los ludópatas , los traders intradía ,etc…

http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/2017-01-21/de-la-tarotista-pepita-al-chaman-anastasio-la-justicia-irrumpe-en-la-jungla-de-los-videntes_1318859/

1 me gusta

Madre mia, como están algunas cabezas @quixote1:grin:

Como decía Einstein, que creo que también se ha citado por aquí por el foro…“Hay dos cosas infinitas: el Universo y la estupidez humana. Y del Universo no estoy seguro”. :joy:

2 Me gusta