Una inversión "familiar". Red Eléctrica $REE

Tiempo y timepo atrás publicó Expansión unos comics llamados “La economía del tío Gilito” que mi padre se afanó en coleccionar por nosotros. A ciertas edades entender el IVA, el interés o un balance es un sinsentido, pero si va acompañado de los dibujos que más te gustan, seguro que te lo acabas leyendo y algo queda…

1 me gusta

Hola compañeros invertidos en REE. Estoy estudiando la compañia con vistas a ir construyendo una posición. Quizá ahora se esté abriendo una ventana para entrar aprovechando el desamor que está sufriendo por la bajada de su precio objetivo de varios analistas por la compra de Hispasat.

Tras escuchar la opinión de @jvas, @MAA, @alfaQalfa sobre la compañía, y revisar y ver el webcast de la última presentación de resultados, así como también el reciente Informe de Avance del Sistema Electrico español, veo con confianza esta inversión conservadora y pagadora de dividendo en euros. Veo además la empresa a futuro sin ninguna duda, cosa que por ejemplo no veo en Enagas, ya que esta última a largo plazo podría ser víctima de la transición energética y la descarbonizacion del origen de la energía. Estoy hablando de invertir para no vender nunca.
Creo que un buen precio de entrada podría estar en los 17 euros, o quizá algo menos , para poder contar con un margen de seguridad por el efecto negativo de la compra impuesta de Hipasat.

Como lo veis ? Os preocupa la compra de Hispasat ? Creéis que el hecho de ser una empresa excelente y de estado tal y como la califica Jordi Sevilla, a largo plazo lo compensa todo?

3 Me gusta

Bufff…eso es lo que nos planteamos los que tenemos bastante REE.
Un poco mas de ruido.

1. Es de lo mejor del continuo.
    2.-El futuro lo veo mas red(inteligente) y menos electrica.
    3.- Osea estrategica con Hispasat …
    sin ella y todos los pepinos que lance Musk al espacio.
    4.- Tiene tecnologia y knowhow para liderar la implantación del EV ,transporte y energia postco2

No es una electrica mas…es la que dice a las electricas y muchas industrias lo que tienen que hacer

Yo tampoco la pienso vender.

3 Me gusta

Aena me parece la gran olvidada del continuo español. Con un dividendo rondando en estos momentos el 4,5% y con un negocio que parece resilente a tope.
Coincido que ree es una joya.

1 me gusta

copy&paste not endorsement :slight_smile:

We reiterate our fair value estimate of EUR 17.80 and our narrow, stable moat trend ratings after Red Electrica released 2018 results in line with expectations. The dividend is set at EUR 0.98, 7% higher than in 2017, in line with our estimates and the business plan, implying a yield of 5.1%, in line with the sector average. We view the shares as overvalued.

EBITDA increased by 1.3% to EUR 1.54 billion, the lowest growth rate since 2013, in line with our expectations. Tepid 0.4% revenue growth was offset by an 8% reduction in operating costs excluding staff costs on efficiencies and lower claim rate. Net profit went up by 5.2% to EUR 705 million, slightly above our EUR 694 million expectation as depreciation was below our estimate due to the extension of the estimated useful life of certain transmission assets that we have yet to factor in.

On Feb. 12, Red Electrica announced an agreement to acquire 89.7% of Spanish communications satellite operator Hispasat from Abertis, which looks like a case of “diworsification” to us. This is not a surprise since reports of the deal regularly surfaced over the last year. The price paid of EUR 0.95 billion is also in line with what was speculated. It implies an enterprise value of EUR 1.3 billion and an EV/EBITDA of 8.3. We calculate that net debt/EBITDA will increase from 3 times to 3.5 after the acquisition. It will be roughly neutral on the bottom line and slightly value-destructive on our estimates. Notably, the business is quite capital-intensive and has a negative economic profit, so it will reduce Red Electrica’s ROICs by around 50 basis points a year, by our calculations. But the group’s ROICs will still be comfortably above its weighted average cost of capital, so we do not intend to change our narrow moat rating. The main rationale for the acquisition appears to be diversification, as the returns of Spanish transmission networks will be cut in 2020, but Hispasat’s financials look weak, and we see no synergies.

Business Strategy and Outlook | by Tancrede Fulop Updated Nov 09, 2018

Red Electrica’s fully regulated electric transmission business has protected the company from the doldrums faced by most diversified European utilities since 2011. Since 2014, the beginning of the current regulatory period, Red Electrica has delivered 7% annual dividend growth, while many other European utilities had to cut their dividends to protect their balance sheets. We expect the dividend to continue growing 7% annually through the end of this regulatory period in 2019.

Regulatory backdrop is set to improve in Spain after the Spanish regulator CNMC proposed to shift from the current bond-linked to a WACC-based remuneration scheme for energy networks in the next regulatory period starting in 2020. As such, new regulatory return on capital will decrease from 6.5% currently to 5.6%. This is more favorable than the continuation of the bond-linked model due to decline in Spanish treasury yield that would have weighed on returns as of 2020.

Considering our outlook for the new regulatory regime, we expect a 1.4% average annual decline in 2019-22 EPS, down from a 5.6% CAGR achieved and forecast in 2013-19. A potential upside to our forecasts would be the extension of the useful life of pre-1998 assets beyond 2023 and recognition and remuneration of investments carried by Red Electrica on these assets so far.

Altogether, we view the risk/reward profile of the company as unappealing, given the upcoming cut in regulated returns as of 2020. The company will likely acquire Spanish communications satellites operator Hispasat from Abertis to diversify its business profile. Still, we do not see potential for significant synergies with the group’s existing businesses.

Economic Moat | by Tancrede Fulop Updated Nov 09, 2018

Red Electrica’s fully regulated power transmission business has a narrow economic moat. Returns on invested capital are healthy for a regulated utility, and we project average 8.1% ROICs through 2022. The prohibitive costs of constructing competing infrastructure, as well as the company’s government mandate to be the sole owner of the country’s transmission assets, suggest a competitive advantage stemming from efficient scale. We have confidence that the company will be able to earn returns on invested capital above its cost of capital for at least the next decade.

Spanish power grid regulation recognizes the need for capital providers–lenders and shareholders–to earn a sufficient return on their investments while ensuring that utilities do not take advantage of their service-area monopoly by gouging customers. This implicit contract between regulators and the utility should, in the long run, allow Red Electrica to earn above its cost of capital.

International power operations and the fibre-optic business remain minor contributors to the top and bottom line. We believe Red’s transmission investments in Latin America have a similar profile to its Spanish system, albeit with a higher growth trajectory and somewhat higher political risk. All told, we believe these assets also warrant a narrow economic moat.

Fair Value and Profit Drivers | by Tancrede Fulop Updated Nov 09, 2018

We increase our fair value estimate by 7% from EUR 16.7 to EUR 17.8 on likely implementation of a WACC-based remuneration model from 2020 versus continuation of the bond-linked model that we factored in previously.

We anticipate net income to grow 1.7% per year on average through 2022 versus flattish previously.

We assume remuneration rate of Spanish transmission networks to decrease from 6.5% to 5.6% in 2020, that is the first year of the new regulatory period. This is in line with the proposal of the regulator CNMC, that we expect to be cleared by the Spanish government. Our previous assumptions pointed to a long-term rate of 5% based on the continuation of the bond-linked model and impact of declining Spanish treasury yield as of 2020.

We expect transmission capital expenditures to increase from EUR 412 million in 2017 to EUR 500 million in 2018 and 2019. That implies EUR 2.7 billion of cumulative investments over 2014-19, short of the EUR 3 billion initial target. We also project the group to miss its 2014-19 target of EUR 1 billion of investments dedicated to international activities and storage. Key to that is the likely delay in the construction of the storage facilities on the island of Gran Canaria, which should be completed between 2020 and 2025 according to the group.

We expect the dividend to continue growing 7% annually in 2018 and 2019. Beyond 2019, we expect dividend growth to slow to around 3% annually. That will imply an increase in the payout ratio from 80% to 92% in 2022, as net income will decrease due to cuts in regulated returns. Still, we calculate that the dividend will be self-funded.

We assume a 6.1% weighted average cost of capital and an 7.5% cost of equity. The 7.5% cost of equity is what we typically use for regulated utilities.

Risk and Uncertainty | by Tancrede Fulop Updated Nov 09, 2018

Given that nearly all of Red Electrica’s revenue and earnings are derived from regulated activities, the primary risk is that the Spanish regulator won’t allow the company to fully recover its costs and return on investment.

Spanish government could introduce further taxes and measures that squeeze Red Electrica’s returns, a risk that materialized to some extent with the latest round of reform proposals to address the imbalances in Spain’s electric system. As growth in the underlying Spanish economy drives a good deal of planned investment, a further collapse in economic activity is also a risk, as it would likely lead regulators to further limit growth investment opportunities, bringing down medium- to long-term growth in earnings and cash flows.

Stewardship | by Tancrede Fulop Updated Nov 09, 2018

We grant Red Electrica a Standard stewardship rating. The company has well-managed regulatory relationships, hit its regulatory goals, stayed on budget, and converted operational success into financial success. ROICs have hovered above the firm’s cost of capital and should continue to do so. Management has committed to an impressive 7% dividend-growth rate target through 2019 that it will likely achieve. The Bolivian government’s seizure of the company’s assets crimped an earlier foray into international power infrastructure, but we can’t entirely fault management for a lack of prescience there.

Like many of Europe’s large utilities, Red Electrica is effectively controlled by the government, which owns 20% of the company and has special powers to ensure its will is carried out. We view this state control as a negative for minority shareholders, whose interests are less likely to be considered if they differ from state interests. Spain has discussed selling this stake down to 10%, but we wouldn’t expect a material change in the control dynamic regardless.

In July 2015, Juan Lasala assumed the CEO role from Jose Folgado, who had led the company since 2012 and oversaw its continued expansion as the monopoly grid operator and investments in fibre optics; Folgado remains as chairman. Lasala has been with Red Electrica since 2001 and oversaw many of the company’s transmission acquisitions, as well as running the telecom business and Red’s international segment.

We were happy to see Red separate the position of chairman and CEO with the appointment of Lasala.

9 Me gusta

@quixote1
No sé si es suficiente ruido con la buena de REE, lleva un par de meses malos y hoy se la está dando fuerte tambien… he comprado unas cuantas más a 18,38 para la parte dividendera de mi cartera.

Ya pueden vds tener la certeza de q se podrá comprar bastante más abajo

2 Me gusta

¿certeza?
En este negocio no existe la certeza.

@Andres01 lo dice porque él ha comprado. No se lo tome tan en serio hombre :slight_smile:

6 Me gusta

Es más, a mi me sucede lo mismo que a Andres01.

Consuela saber que hay tipos mucho peores que nosotros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLSyFzk-6g

2 Me gusta

Gracias por el texto, no parece que tengan muy buena opinión sobre la adquisición de hispasat yo no tengo aún juicio al respecto pero estoy en la línea del texto en que puede ser una empeorizacion ¿alguien tiene la opinión contraria?

1 me gusta

¿Qué tal le va la cartera de REE?
¿le hacen algún seguimiento a la cotización? O simplemente la alegría anual del cobro de dividendos, y toda contenta?

En algún podcast oí que próximamente toca la revisión del modo de calcular el peaje que cobra REE por el transporte de la electricidad. ¿estoy en lo cierto?
Saludos y gracias por todo

2 Me gusta

Al igual que con ENG se va a revisar el peaje. Hay una propuesta inicial, con descuento en el peaje y las empresas presentan alegaciones.
Esto ha hecho bajar bastante la cotización de ENG. Ha afectado menos a REE,

1 me gusta

Estoy intentando “vender” una inversión familiar (ya se que no es recomendable aconsejar a familiares en tema de inversiones, pero tengo que intentarlo, ya que no me gustan nada los fondos de inversión que le coloca la banca), y creo que es imprescindible que sea en euros y que repantan dividendos. Obviamente tendrán que ser “buenas” empresas con buenos negocios.
Personalmente me parecen adecuadas para este menester las siguientes empresas del mercado continuo:
Red Eléctrica
Viscofan
Miquel y Costas
Prim

Tengo dudas sobre la diversificación. Llevo años oyendo las bondades de la diversificación, pero para este caso particular no se si sería más conveniente elegir únicamente una empresa.
Quizás sea más sencillo “vender” una única empresa que dos o tres. ¿será más fácil entender un negocio que tres? Parece que la respuesta debe ser que sí.

¿que les parece?

1 me gusta

Va bien, @bizkai, fundamentalmente porque no la mira. De vez en cuando le llega un mensaje de ING anunciándole que ha cobrado X dividendos y se pone contenta.

Habrá que ver como termina el palo, porque también le compré Enagas y ambas van a tener buen recorte. Mi única esperanza es que al tener la SEPI una participación importante, no llegue la sangre al río.

Al final, lo bueno y lo malo en estas compañías, era precisamente eso.

Un saludo!

1 me gusta

Eso es muy importante.

Ya han tenido un recorte, y no me siento capaz de augurar si en los próximos meses aumentará el recorte. Podría comprarle más si sigue el recorte.

Mi dilema está en la diversificación. ¿serán adecuadas una o dos empresas para una cartera de este tipo?
Por un lado tengo en runrún de no meter todos los huevos en la misma cesta, pero por otro lado temo que la cartera se complica con varios valores. Lo más simple sería una única empresa.

Saludos cordiales y gracias por su comentario

2 Me gusta

En mi opinión REE puede ser una buena inversión a estos precios, buscando una cartera de dividendos en euros. Como apunta @jvas yo también creo que la sangre no llegará al río, porque es una empresa estratégica. Si se tiene el.objetivo se gobierno de transición energética no se puede fastidiar en exceso a REE, además es propietaria de Hipasat y esto tiene implicaciones también de Defensa. Ahora bien, Jordi Sevilla se ha cargado al CEO Juan Lasala, y parece que se está metiendo en la gestión, cuando no es una persona competente para ello, sólo es un político licenciado en económicas. Por otra parte creo que es difícil ver a REE cómo una inversión DGI, cosa que por ejemplo en BIP es algo que tiene más visibilidad.

5 Me gusta

En cuento a PRIM pues es una opción interesante con gestión conservadora, yo diría que demasiado conservadora, en un sector defensivo. Es un valor de pequeña capitalización con poca liquidez a nivel de volumen de contratación en bolsa. La empresa se prodiga poco en los.medios , por lo que si no vas físicamente a la Junta de Accionistas, pues no hay opción de verla. La empresa creo que tiene una buena imagen de marca en el sector sanitario español. Por cierto, alguien que sea accionista y que hubiera ido a la Junta del 29 de junio tendria a bien compartir algo de lo que allí se palpó ?

2 Me gusta

Llevo como cuatro o cinco años aquí y las injerencias políticas es la única sombra que le veo. Acción tranquila y de B&H para mí

3 Me gusta

El propietario del 66% del capital de REE es “Institucional extranjero”, mucha parte de este capital esta en fondos de gestión pasiva (casi un 2% en fondos Vanguard). Yo más que en la cotización me fijo en el crecimiento del beneficio y los dividendos ya que mientras estos se mantengan o crezcan los grandes fondos no saldrán.

Yo soy accionista desde hace bastante tiempo y sólo me ha dado alegrías, espero continuar siéndolo.

7 Me gusta

Con el objetivo de cobrar dividendo y bastante estable parece una opción a considerar para cuando necesitemos tirar de los ahorros.

2 Me gusta